Try prepping this strawberry baked oatmeal over the weekend to enjoy a flavorful and nutrient packed breakfast on the go all week!
Baked oatmeal is one of my favorite things to prep for breakfast. It doesn't take long to throw together, and reheats really well, and the leftovers are just as good as right out of the oven. An hour or so on the weekend will save you so much time and stress getting breakfast together before heading out the door.
Bonus is that the kids like it too- especially when its loaded with strawberries. My strawberry pouring hand is a little heavy on this recipe, but you can't blame me.. it's strawberries!
Ingredients for Baked Strawberry Oatmeal
Want to know why this baked oatmeal recipe is extra special? Theres only 8 ingredients and you probably already have most of them in your pantry. Plus- it's dairy free and vegan, which makes it the perfect plant based breakfast!
Oatmeal The old fashioned type. I wouldn't replace steel cut or quick oats since it won't bake the same way. You can use gluten free oats if needed.
Plant Based Milk You can use any kind of plant based milk you'd like. I used soy here to increase the protein content of the oatmeal (this is what the nutrition facts are based off of). Oat, almond, rice, or coconut would work well too.
Strawberries I often use frozen, but you can use fresh if you'd like too without changing the recipe or outcome. Frozen strawberries are great for tossing in baked goods. Their inexpensive and bake really well. Fresh berries don't last long in our house, so I usually save those for snacking!
Ground flax Use the ground flax to make your "eggs".
Sugar Any kind of granulated sugar will work. I used coconut sugar here. It's not necessary, but I really love the unique flavor that coconut sugar has compared to regular granulated sugar.
Toppings to make an extra special oatmeal
This baked oatmeal recipe is great on its own, but if you want to take your breakfast up a notch in flavor and nutrition, try adding some of these extras to your strawberry baked oatmeal:
- chocolate chips
- flaked coconut
- slivered almonds
- peanut or almond butter
- hemp seeds
How Long Does Baked Oatmeal Last in the Fridge?
You can prep this oatmeal ahead of time and once cooled, store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. If you make it on Sunday, it should stay good for breakfast all week!
How Meal Prep Baked Oats
You can make this ahead of time and just store the leftovers. You can also prep the batter ahead of time and bake when you want it. This works well for breakfast when company is over or anytime you want a fresh hot breakfast in the morning, but don't want the mess in the kitchen!
Prepare the strawberry baked oatmeal as directed, but don't bake it. Instead, cover the pan and stick in the refrigerator up to 24 hours, then bake as directed when you're ready.
Did you make this strawberry baked oatmeal yet?
Leave some love with a star rating, comment, or by sharing this recipe with others!
Make sure to add to your Pinterest board so it's right at your fingertips next time you want to make it! While you're at it, Follow Graciously Nourished on Pinterest for more easy, tasty, and budget friendly plant focused meals!
Looking for other plant based breakfasts? Check out this round up of 22 Dietitian Approved Plant Based Breakfasts!
Strawberry Baked Oatmeal
- Baking pan- 9x9 or 8x11 works well
- Mixing bowl
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed mixed with 6 tablespoons water for 2 flax "eggs"
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup granulated sugar coconut sugar or regular
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups soy milk or any plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced strawberries frozen or fresh
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare a baking dish (8x11 or 9x9 works well) by spraying with cooking spray, or use a non-stick pan.
- Make your flax egg: mix two tablespoons of ground flax seed with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside and let sit for at least 5 minutes. It will gel up to the consistency of egg whites.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl: Oats, sugar, and baking powder.
- Pour the plant based milk, flax eggs, and vanilla extract into the dry ingredients. Mix well
- Stir in the sliced strawberries.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Add additional sliced strawberries on top if you wish. Bake for 1 hour. Check after 45 minutes- the oatmeal is done once the center is set and no longer runny.